UK Immigration – Accommodation


Hello everyone! Today’s post continues my series on UK immigration via Category A spousal route, and here I’ll be showing you how to show proof of appropriate accommodation for you, the applicant, and your British spouse.

Disclaimer: I do not claim to be an immigration adviser. I am not any kind of professional. I’m merely giving my own input and experience in UK immigration, and it should be treated as such. However, I hope it eases your confusion and helps you on your journey to Britain. I highly recommend consulting ExpatForum whether or not you have additional questions, as my experience is limited.


Your British spouse (sponsor) must prove that they have appropriate accommodation secured for your arrival to the UK.  This can be done a few different ways, depending on your sponsor’s current living situation, and here’s what they’ll need for three common situations. The documents should be originals and they should be as recent as possible (although they do not fall under the same 28-day rule that financial documents do).


If your sponsor owns and is the sole tenant until you, the applicant, arrive:

– Deed OR land registry document (the latter of which can be attained online for about £3)
– Council tax OR other utility bill
– Mortgage statement, if there’s a mortgage


If your sponsor rents and is the sole tenant until you, the applicant, arrive:

– Tenancy agreement
– Council tax or other utility bill
– Typed and signed letter from landlord saying that your spouse is allowed to live there with you


If your sponsor lives with other people:

– Deed OR land registry document
– Council tax or other utility bill in homeowner’s name
– Typed and signed letter from the homeowners giving you and your spouse permission to live in their house
– Property inspection report, which is STRONGLY recommended to prove that there’s no overcrowding
– Rental agreement IF sponsor is paying rent to the homeowner



Usually, your sponsor can approach their local council and have a property inspection arranged through them. This should always be the first option. In the case of them not providing that service, you can hire an independent inspection company. We used Hudson and White for ours. They were very thorough and provided a full inspection. And we were approved, so it was worth the money we paid!

For the homeowner permission letter, here’s a look at our personal letter to get inspiration and ideas on how yours could be worded. Keep it a concise one-page document, signed and dated by the homeowner(s), and have them briefly explain any rental agreement between them and your sponsor (as well as including any actual rental agreement with the application, as I mentioned above).



And that’s it for our accommodation section!

I hope this post helps someone out there. Stay tuned for the next post in the series!

Leave a Reply

CommentLuv badge

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.